"Go into yourself. Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its root into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write." Rainier Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Something to live for


Someone once told me 'I want to live in a way,so that when i die atleast a thousand people remember me'. His words stuck to me,it's almost impossible to forget the way he told me that. But then i started thinking what after those thousand people die! What after the memories that we have created in mind of others fade,what after the 'best' work we had done is forgotten by even other 'better' works by someone after us! Steve Job's 'making a dent in the universe' is not a cardinal truth of life. No doubt doing good in our workfield gives us loads of satisfaction,doing greater things keeps us alive in people's mind for a little longer(may be)...and then what!

Death is inevitable,in both the forms...carnal and conscious. No one can or will remember us eternally for anything great that we might have achieved. So my point then is why and what have we set out to achieve! I read,write and love surfing through art sites....but why? Not because i want to write a book someday and mint money,or that i want to show off my menial writing skills! I do all that to 'educate' myself,to relinquish my soul with as much pleasure as i can afford to provide to it.

We all remember sitting with our grandparents and listening to their stories. When have they ever shared with us their pride at long work hours and expensive things they had bought! Their stories are invariably always about how they had journeyed through life,their adventures and misadventures, about family, friends or neighbours. My grandparents had come from Burma with my dad and their other children in 1969 when Burma went under military rule. They always used to talk about their house there,their town in mountains,long winding roads to it,the life they once had there,they cherished every single memory of that place,they had numerous little things to tell us like how they used to eat everything in a bowl using chopsticks! (and that includes even rice) !

But never once i remember them talking about their life and work and the difficulties they had to face here,in India! All they had was the memories of a place that used to be their home once. So is slogging at work,making money and building a house enough to gives us happiness! May be not! May be we need to nourish our souls and our senses to make us happy. We never completely understand the purpose of our lives. That is something that only our creator knows. He made us and hence He alone knows for what purpose He did that. In the mean time only thing that we can do is to provide joy to 'us' and 'others'...that's our duty. That joy can come from reading,writing,travelling,painting,or even from giving.

Things don't matter,unless you are giving them away and bringing smile to someone's face. I think that's the best purpose money can serve. A friend of mine,whom i had never even met,sent a wedding gift to my sister for her wedding. How happy it made me,would be impossible for me to put into words! That's what joy of giving is! The best thing you can do for a sunflower is to show it the Sun...the best you could do for yourself is to keep sneaking your senses the potion of it's happiness and joy.

4 comments:

the.orchestra.of.life said...

jag rachna sab jhooth hai
jaan leho re meet

:)

Dr Mandeep Khanuja said...

refreshing to read comment like yours !
thank you :)

Vicky Dada (Vikas) said...

I had this thought once - we can live for two things in our life. One - doing things aimed at achieving self salvation, and Two - doing things to make the society a better place to live in. In the second point, there was no thought of helping someone in particular (like an elder, sibling or friend) but society as a whole - working for the universal brotherhood/spirit. The reason I thought of point two was because once we expend this lifetime and are reborn back into this world, in some way the good things that we left behind will make our next life better, probably.

Dr Mandeep Khanuja said...

i dont believe that i would be born again,my heart simply doesnt believe in that concept. So in my opinion we get just this one life and what i wanted to say here vikas is that shouldnt we be doing something that brings happiness to us! Sorry if i sound selfish or self-centered but i want to do what brings smile to my face,what brings warmth to my heart; if that comes from doing something for someone else then so be it! But just doing something because we are "supposed" to or "expected" to do so,i dont find that idea very appealing! For example donating at temples or other religious places,people/society think it's a good thing to do,but well it pains for me to spend my hard earned money for putting gold ornaments on some idols,or marbles in temples! It revolts me, so i never put money in temple donation boxes. I dont care a damn about what people say but if i feel like eating a piece of cake instead,il go forward,be selfish and buy myself that piece of cake! because that's what keeping me happy at that time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...